Thursday 17 November 2011

“Why are all men bastards?"



Angie sits across from me in our favourite cafe, sobbing. She's just broken up with Mr Fabulous – this one lasted six weeks. She is heart-broken.

So many questions: “Why? Why? How?” and worse still, “What's wrong with me?”

Angie's latest Mr Fabulous (Mr F) was almost identical to all the other Mr F's she's ever been out with, entangled with, or been attracted to. They are all the same.

You know how this story goes. You've been there too, or you know someone else who has.

And every time it ends, she is devasted and JUST KNOWS it's something to do with her.

Well, it isn't, and yet, it is.

The reason why these relationships end is because they are not right for her. It's a bad match. Clear to an observer, but devastingly unclear to Angie.

How is it her then?

Well, I'm not saying that she is deeply flawed. What I am saying is that she is making the same choice. She is looking in the same places.

Why are all men such bastards?” she will lament in, hmm, about another week or so from now.

Are they? I don't think they are.

The men she chooses are, and she chooses the same types of people over and over again. It doesn't work now, it didn't back then. But she just keeps choosing them.

If you search and look under every rock, you will find the type of guy that dwells under rocks. My cynical friends might call them “snakes.” If you search in muddy swamps, no doubt you will find the rhinos or pigs. Just like searching in pubs leads you to... well, you know what I mean.

If this is what you want, go for it.

But if what you want is something different, then you need to look somewhere else. The guys that bring a ray of sunshine into the room aren't going to be in the back corner of a dark gloomy cave. They will be up high, shining brightly, so try looking up instead.

Hold the horses, really, before we look out there, let's look inside.

Usually, there is a lot to heal. I always recommend that between relationships, people need at least a year to heal. Not just to rediscover who you were (women are incredibly good at losing themselves in relationships) but to discover who you are.

Sounds pretty much the same, but it's not.

I'm talking some serious soul-searching, deep-digging, demon-facing time.

When we repeatedly make the same choices, especially ones that end badly, we are not “getting” the lessons from our experiences.

Why not? Maybe because we are not ready to learn or change.

How do we get these lessons? People are different, so different things work for different people.

One technique I really like is to make lists. Lists mean I can clear my head. Lists mean I can see what I am thinking/feeling... Lists mean I can make comparisons.

Try making a list (or a table) of all the ex's. Write down the things you liked about them and the things you didn't. Be honest. This is just for you.

Find the common elements – positive and negative.

Try to see the pattern, because there is one.

See if you can make the link back to you – why are you always choosing the same thing? This can be a painful process, and sometimes it is worth coming back to in a few days time. Sometimes it is best to do it with the help of a professional (eg a clinical psychologist).

Then, make a new list. This list ideally should be pages long. Make a list of all the attributes you would like in a partner. Not just any partner, your ideal partner.

Honestly reflect on this list. Is there any reason that you are not pursuing this? Anything that is holding you back here will mean that Mr Perfect cannot be a part of your life. These reasons will need to be sorted out properly.

Sometimes the reasons may be “I'm not ready for a 'real' relationship,”or “I don't deserve this,” or “I'm not good enough”...

Well, sister (or brother), let me tell you here and now – YOU DESERVE THE VERY BEST.

We all do.

We also “owe” the world something – we need to be the very best person that we can be.

Constantly strive to do your very best and be your best. Remember that this does not mean you have to be perfect at all times – gee, we're human, that's not possible. But, as long as we are doing our best, we cannot possibly regret and lament that we should have done/been better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Chinese herbal medicine practitioner and acupuncturist.

I work with people who are ready to change – change their health, change their lives, make some change in some way.

In my role, I assist my clients in treading their brighter path.

For more information, please visit my website www.brighterpaths.com.au